I went to the ‘Smak’ food festival in Tromsø with some friends yesterday. I was quite excited because it’s food and food is my one true ultimate love. All my friends were Norwegian except for one girl who is half Asian and half Norwegian. Here is what I experienced 😦 😀
1) The first thing they wanted me to taste was this tiny sample of lapskaus. Seriously, Lapskaus! It’s a Norwegian dish, basically meat and potatoes stew thingie. It’s my least favorite Norwegian dish. Well, it’s a stew and more like a leftover food and it’s too bland for my taste.
2) This girl showed me bags of potatoes and said that they were the best potatoes in Norway. At first, I thought she was being sarcastic but she meant every word she said. She started telling me how much she enjoyed eating those potatoes because she hadn’t eaten potatoes for a while. I tried so hard to contain my laughter. I wasn’t judging her love for potatoes but man! Like seriously, I am in a freaking food festival and these people were telling how good this particular brand of potatoes was. 😂
3) After walking across some stalls that sold tacos, lefse (Flatbread made of potatoes, flour, milk and cream) and dry fish, we came to city center and then suddenly this guy I was with stops and exclaims: “Em, can you smell it? It smells sooo good. It’s pølse (hot dogs)”. I just lost it at that. I just laughed and laughed because this was way too much. I know that Norwegians love their pølse but I had never imagined someone being so ecstatic over the smell of hot dogs. 😂
4) We ended up tasting a piece of dry fish that was like a mind boggler because everyone thought it was chips so, it tasted really strange in our mouths.
5) I didn’t even got to buy a good cup of coffee so, I had to go to regular café to buy a cup before I walked to work. 😦
It was of course very much fun to hangout with friends. They are really nice, friendly and fun loving people but I must say that I was really disappointed with this whole food festival thingie. Well, it’s called food Festival for a reason, no? Imagine going to a food festival in Nepal and ending up eating dalbhat (staple everyday dish in Nepal comprising of rice, lentil soup and veggies).
I left for work after a while but you know what, I got a snap on snapchat after 15 mins and guess what they were eating.
Potatoes on stick! 😂
P.S. I don’t really have any pictures from the food festival but here are some pictures of the Northern lights we got to witness the day before yesterday. ❤